Battle of Britain campaign issue

Discuss EAW and find answers to problems. Discuss any related WWII topics

Moderator: rotton50

justafleshwound
Aircrafthand
Aircrafthand

Battle of Britain campaign issue

Post by justafleshwound »

I'm running 1.28 and having an issue with the Battle of Britain campaign as the Luftwaffe. On missions the RAF aircraft always chase the Luftwaffe all the way back to their airfields in France. Needless to say this is hardly accurate, highly annoying and it's impossible to continue the campaign as the Luftwaffe are shot down in droves as they attempt to land.

So I'm looking at trying out 1.60 but would this issue also appear in 1.60?

Thanks
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Battle of Britain campaign issue

Post by Moggy »

Hello!

Not a question I can answer personally, as I don't run many campaign games these days. I'm concentrated on single missions.

Maybe Jel might have a view. I recall he did some work on campaigns a little while back.

Suggest you install 1.6 and give it a go. There is an updated BoB campaign among the selectable theatres.
Jel
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by Jel »

1.28 was our first release, but I do not think that any campaign files were changed. Hence, they are the 1.2 campaign files.
I do not think that anyone has modified the ETO files, except the ones in 1.28c. This was done because the introduction of the "Allied Carrier" in the North Sea added an extra target and an extra base.

The only thing that I can think of that might account for the problem is a change to the AI aircraft flight models. The flight model files were modified to accommodate gun convergence and "wet starts" which were first introduced in 1.28 release, and there might have been some other changes, but I do not know what they were. The only person who would really know is "Knegel" but he is out of contact.

Jel ;)
justafleshwound
Aircrafthand
Aircrafthand

Thanks for the replies. I've installed 1.60 but I'm not sure which theatre has the updated BOB campaigns.

I assume it's not 'Default European Theatre'
rotton50
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by rotton50 »

Pretty sure it is the default EAW setup.

There is a specific planeset in 1.6 that mimics the original campaign. Scroll through the list and you will find it.
Jel
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by Jel »

The BoB campaign files in EAW1.2 became inaccurate when 1.28c was introduced because an extra target/base was added when we introduced the "Allied Carrier" in the North Sea.
Later on the original 1.2 theatre was added to theUAW160 theatres so that the 1.2 ETO careers could be flown in UAW160.

;) Jel
rotton50
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by rotton50 »

Of course, once we separated the planes from the scenarios, a player could run the BOB planeset included with 1.6 in literally any scenario they chose.
justafleshwound
Aircrafthand
Aircrafthand

Well I've tried the European theatre options but the Luftwaffe BOB campaign map screen doesn't show the mission waypoints.

I think I'll go back to 1.2 for the campaign. Is it possible though to mod the 1.28 cockpits into 1.2?
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

justafleshwound wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:03 am I'm running 1.28 and having an issue with the Battle of Britain campaign as the Luftwaffe. On missions the RAF aircraft always chase the Luftwaffe all the way back to their airfields in France. Needless to say this is hardly accurate, highly annoying and it's impossible to continue the campaign as the Luftwaffe are shot down in droves as they attempt to land.
But does the same problem happen in the original 1.2 game?
justafleshwound
Aircrafthand
Aircrafthand

1.2 has worked fine so far for me. I just find the 1.2 cockpits painful now.
rotton50
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by rotton50 »

justafleshwound wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:12 pm 1.2 has worked fine so far for me. I just find the 1.2 cockpits painful now.
I'm not sure I know what you mean. Far as I recall (and that's got lot's of room for correction) these wasn't much work done on cockpits back then. About the only serious upgrade to cockpits came with the 1.6 line where gauges were sharpened and the addition of moving levers, knobs, blinking lights and moving cockpit bracing.

Can you describe what's different?
justafleshwound
Aircrafthand
Aircrafthand

rotton50 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:17 pm
justafleshwound wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:12 pm 1.2 has worked fine so far for me. I just find the 1.2 cockpits painful now.
I'm not sure I know what you mean. Far as I recall (and that's got lot's of room for correction) these wasn't much work done on cockpits back then. About the only serious upgrade to cockpits came with the 1.6 line where gauges were sharpened and the addition of moving levers, knobs, blinking lights and moving cockpit bracing.

Can you describe what's different?
Sorry for confusion. I meant going back to 1.2 from 1.28 or above. In 1.28 you are seated further back. It's significantly different and improved experience IMO.
rotton50
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by rotton50 »

Have you tried 1.6 with the improved cockpits?
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

I've moved the general topic of campaign problems to its own topic, so it doesn't get in the way of assisting Justafleshwound with his particular problem.
rotton50
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by rotton50 »

Try these:

1.6 Sept23rd Old Map.exe.
SPAW Final Cut theater
SPAW 1942 Early plane set

1 - In career mode squadron descriptions are from EAW, not SPAW.
2 - Aircraft choices are wrong, only allowing P-400 and P-41.
3 - Medal awarded on first mission.
4 - 2nd mission CTD.
5 - Music does not return to default EAW when theater is changed.

1.5 Oct24th Old Map.exec
SPAW theater
SPAW 1942 Early plane set.

1 - Squadron descriptions OK
2 - 1st mission takes off from water.
3 - 2nd mission CTD.
4 - Music correct for SPAW and returns to EAW standard when selection is changed.

FWIW, we spent a lot of time getting historically correct squadrons for SPAW and edited the campaign files to more accurately reflect the Pacific war tactics, meaning more variety in mission assignments.

Then we tested extensively so I know SPAW was working properly at some time in the past. When it all went off the rails and why, I have no idea.