Screenshots from 23 Years Ago: April/May 2001

Discuss EAW and find answers to problems.

Moderator: rotton50

Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Screenshots from 23 Years Ago: April/May 2001

Post by Moggy »

In April 2001 the original version of the Midway mod was released:

"In the course of the second world war although many Americans did expect Japanese landings on the west coast, and at the very least, Japanese bombing of the west coast cities, there never was a "Battle of America" as there was a decisive Battle of Britain in the European Theatre. That Battle of Britain meant that Germany would not win a quick war, or obtain a quick and cheap peace. The war would go on, and Germany would loose it. The only reason there never was a Battle of America is that there was a Battle of Midway."

"This is a single mission addon, and the object was to reproduce as far as possible the elements of historical missions flown by US and Japanese aircraft. The USMC and USAAF aircraft at Midway will attack the Japanese Occupation forces and carriers. The Japanese main carrier force will attack Midway, and thereafter planes from the Hiryu will attack the Yorktown. The USNavy forces will attack the four main Japanese carriers, and thereafter the Main Body."

I had to thank many people whose work and advice contributed to the making of this addon: especially Captain Kurt for his Midway aircraft, and Serb, Edward, Lobo, Pretzel, and Woolfman for additional aircraft additions, and many others.

This was one of the first EAW theatre to have an edited tilemap, and edited target locations and layouts. It was all done by hex editing the basic layout files. Thanks to DOM for his pioneering work on the EAW grid structure and his notes.

Greetings Moggy,
Well, I am more than impressed, it's great!!! This is a major add-on and it has a great atmosphere. I really like the sluggish flying of the old types fighters (Wildcat and Buffalo). All the planes are beautifull done, cockpits included, and are very much to my liking. Midway will stay for a long while on my PC and I will bring this addition to the attention of others who own this game. I made one addition so that the Japanese speak now Japanese instead of German (I found this sound file a long time ago and in combination with your magnificent mod it's definitely realistic). Unfortunately I have to work now, but you can be sure that this evening I will battle again. Inbetween I've read about the characteristics of the planes involved in the Pacific 1942 and this is also very well done in your mod. The superiority of the Zero (flying and armament) but also it's vulnerability (airframe), the tactics to encounter them by the underarmed Wildcats (No circular dogfighting: just dive, shoot and scoot). It' s all in the game! This is .... glad to be writing, because I'm still speechless. Q'plah!

... one of many responses to the new mod.

Meanwhile ... Jim Farmer and Steve Daly were working on a new version of the first and original "Pacific Tide" mod. This was the original South Pacific Guadalcanal/Solomons mod, an expansion of the mod first released as one of Emil's ECA Panel 3.1 compatible campaigns in May 2000. This new version would involve a new edited tile map and target layout ... Cord had produced his amazing 3dz model of the Ju52/3m ... what was not yet called "The Firm" (Flyright, RedEyes & me) were working on various aircraft addons and enhancement including the Halifax .. and I had started work on the Invader - to be my first great struggle with the EAW rendering sequence.