Moderator: rotton50

Knegel
Member of the Code Committee

Post by Knegel »

Wudy,

how do you load the plane??

This is the way to go:

1. Unzip the file with included folderstructure into F 1(EAWrp2.6).

2. Restart OAW and load F 1(EAWrp2.6), now you should find a P-04_51B(Waco) in the FM/DM list (not skin list!!!).

3. Doubleclick to the P-04_51B(Waco)(now it should be green marked).

4. Load the Waco skin.

5. Start the game and drop the tank, then the engines should die within some secs.

Greetings,
Wudpecker

Post by Wudpecker »

Ahhhh! A glider at last. Yippeee, Knegel.

Works beautifully, too. Except that the AI gliders scare the hell out of me diving in like they do on landing. But they all made it (except one).

As might be expected, it was my lack of knowledge of OAW that ruined earlier efforts. I did NOT appreciate the complexity of installing an FM mod. I could NOT just name the FM mod anything I pleased.

Thanks to following Knegel's directions EXACTLY, I finally managed it.
Even then, I did not realize that the "contents.txt" gave the EXACT name of the FM mod I had to load.

My version of OAW is V150D, which lists the FM's as "Alternative Planes"--which really means "Alternative FM's for other aircraft."

Well, live and learn---and I see I still have a LOT to learn. :cry:
Knegel

Post by Knegel »

Hi Wudy,

at 1st you need to learn to handle winzip in its basics, cause your problem dont seems to be a result of the OAW complexity in general!!!

The "rp2.6V10_Waco.zip" contain the needed "P-04_P51B(Waco)" folder!!!!

If you open the winzip file and click to "extract", a window will open, where you can mark a box called "use included pathstructure"(or similar, i have the german version of winzip). If you have marked this box, the included files get extracted inside a (for you) new "P-04_P51B(Waco)" folder.
If you unmark the box, only the included files will get extracted, this can mess up much!!! You never can make a real mistake if this box is marked. In the worst case, if you realy dont need the included folder, you need to copy/paste the extraced files out of the new folder to the position you want!!

I never offer flightfiles without the needed pathstructure!!! If you know that winzip can contain folders and that rp2.6 planes always come inside the needed folders, its very simple to install a new plane!!

You simply need to extract the files into F 1(EAWrp2.6) and restart OAW, this need around 4 clicks.

Of course, if someone dont know the features of winzip and/or the windows explorer, it will be much more difficult.

Its of course most easy to blame OAW and its sooooo difficult structure for this shortcomming, but thats badly wrong and lead to most misunderstandings and to the myth of the "difficult OAW".

Greetings,
Greetings,
Wudpecker

Post by Wudpecker »

Believe me, Knegel, I wasn't blaming OAW---or WinZip--or you-- for my install problems.

Only one person was at fault, and he is writing this post.

True, I wasn't aware of some "rules" for using OAW mods. By necessity it is a complex program. I have nothing but praise for Mr. Jelly and you and others who worked on it.

I just winged it--and got winged by my own wild shot in return. :D

All is well, now. Until I try some other clever trick.
Knegel

Post by Knegel »

Hi Wudy,

maybe iam already a bit to touchy regarding this. :oops:

Your very long post on frugals, how to setup the new plane FM under OAW simply did sound a bit sarcastic in my ears and show that you didnt know about the already included "P-04_P51B(Waco)" folder.

Actually i didnt thought that you blame OAW, but the long and particlar wrong and also confusing describtion how to setup the new plane FM, based on missing knowledge of winzip, will feed the myth of the sooo difficult OAW. As result people are afraid, while most known problems are caused by missing basic knowledge of winzip and/or the windows explorer and/or knowledge regarding the problems of the EAW filestructure that we cant overcome.

A user who know to handle winzip and the explorer already cant make many mistakes while installing a addon, as long as they come ready packed for OAW, as the EAWrp files, released by me always do! A user who also know the EAW filestructure dont will have any problems while installing a addon under OAW.

Many EAW addons comes in a zip file, which include different folders and subfolders. If a user isnt aware of the winzip feature to extract with or without this included pathstructure, he will mess up this addons, if his Winzip is adjusted to extract without pathstructure.
Since OAW and specialy EAWrp2.6 base on a foldername logic(norm) its even more important to keep the included foldernames.

Probably its our biggest mistake to expect that people know about this winzip feature, i will try to keep this in mind and to remember the people about it.

Greetings,
Shreck
Fitter Grade I
Fitter Grade I

Post by Shreck »

okay,so now that the drama surrounding the FM,and zip files,is over.. :lol:
now lets deal with my problems...ROFL :lol:
so,been doing some major remodeling.....cockpit is a whole new ballgame as I WAS using the Horsa cockpit as a base......WRONG :roll:
If I had a Horsa 3DZ,it would be a different story,but this is a WACO,so,heres my reference....
decidedly different from a Horsas,dont you think?
and heres the remodeling work on the skin(adding exterior cockpit view,and re-palettizing all including proper TRA file)
so,currently attempting to add exterior cockpit to the 3DZs :shock:
will post something regarding soon....and will have an early alpha preview of the WACO cockpit..........whew!!!!
this might very well be my final major volunteer work,excepting finishing up the mods in my projects folder(see other thread)
S!.........Shreck 8)
"Ask not what you can do for your country,ask,what has your country been doing to you!"
Wudpecker

Post by Wudpecker »

Erik--What can I say?

The new PCX looks great.
I've been working on the same PCX trying to attach (and get rid of) a tow cable.
So the improvements you made are obvious to me.
----- particularly the pilot and co-pilot , outside cockpit view, and the transparency windows sections.
----- Is it my imagination? The whole PCX looks sharper to me.

I'm sure I can find a tiny spot somewhere for the tow cable when you are done. :D
Shreck
Fitter Grade I
Fitter Grade I

Post by Shreck »

Erik--What can I say?

The new PCX looks great.
I've been working on the same PCX trying to attach (and get rid of) a tow cable.
So the improvements you made are obvious to me.
----- particularly the pilot and co-pilot , outside cockpit view, and the transparency windows sections.
----- Is it my imagination? The whole PCX looks sharper to me.

I'm sure I can find a tiny spot somewhere for the tow cable when you are done.

thanks Woody
no,same 256X256 pcx's,probably looks larger/sharper because of the P51b palletes bright green "zero color",though I have done some minor alterations to the good Cols pcx's outside of the obvious palette change and exterior cockpit stuff.....
anyway,above the main fuselage there is a space that is 6X125 pixels....will that do for you?
I know a 255 pixel strip would be preferred,but that would entail more mapping,and more time... :roll:
let me know,also,do you want the pcxs sent by themselves ,or wait and ship with the altered 3DZs in a day,or two,or three,or..... :?:
well,I am up,and watching the gmail and forums,let me know!! and S!........Shreck 8)
BTW,heres the latest wingview 3DZ in "Studio"
"Ask not what you can do for your country,ask,what has your country been doing to you!"
Wudpecker

Post by Wudpecker »

Hey, I'll be glad to wait until the cows come home for this one.
Go ahead and finish what you are doing on the 3DZ, etc.

Don't worry about space. I'll find a spot--though that long, narrow one may be right. I'm not even sure the cable belongs on the glider. It may belong on the Ord.3DZ (the C-47).

I'm already learning a few tricks. By using a fat box on the PCX, I can "shrink" the cable diameter in the 3DZ. I haven't tried stretching the cable by using a short box, but I will.
Shreck
Fitter Grade I
Fitter Grade I

Post by Shreck »

check your mail,click on the link and DL the pcxs,they have your "area" mapped in red(on both)
more coming soon!
S!...........Shreck 8)

It may belong on the Ord.3DZ (the C-47).

y'know,you might be on to something there!wish someone would do a new C-47 :cry: and dont you dare ask me to do it :lol:
Col. Gibbon

Post by Col. Gibbon »

Hi Guys.

Sorry to come in so late to the party. :)

Rather than read all the related pages on the glider project so far, can someone do a review of where you are with this project, and what the problems are. I've downloaded a set of files from Shreck, but I need to know what's going on before I start crashing around trying things. :)

CSS

Wings Over Bytom

At home, with my 3 children, Thomas, Jessica, and Nicola. :)
Knegel

Post by Knegel »

Hello,

so far:

We have a good working glider FM/DM.
The towning plane find place in a droptank loadout. This droptank keep all fuel, after dropping it(cutting the cable to the towing plane), the glider dont have thrust anymore and need to glide downward(human controlled and AI´s). The FM/DM allow even Ai´s to land their glider.

Schrecki is working on a glider update and cockpit(dont know the problems there).

What we need is a C47 in a droptank slot, you also could use 2 or 3 loadout slots (2 for C47 and one for the towing cable??).

And the glider 3DZ need the fitting hardpoint positions to display the C47 and cable on the right position, ahead of the glider.

After this i can adjust the droppoints in the ***.flt to fit to this position.

When all is ready we can take off behind a twoing plane, fly to the target and glide down to the landing point.

Also Ai´s should be able to do this job alone!! But iam still not sure if the Ai´s will realy drop their tanks under attack, if they have no fuel otherwise. To solve this problem we could use a bomb instead of a droptank for Ai´s, so they drop the gliders over target or if they are under presure.

Greetings,

Knegel
Wudpecker

Post by Wudpecker »

Knegel has given a good summation.

1) Knegel's Glider FM is a complete success. "Drop tanks" order brings a wind-whooshing glider flight in a few seconds since all fuel was in the drop tanks (which will become a tow cable and C-47 Dakota tow plane). If attacked, the gliders drop tanks on their own in most cases, I have observed so far. It's very close to automatic! AI landings are excitingly dangerous, but generally successful.

Your personal glider is very easy to fly and land. Though very scary with no armament.

2) Shreck's first try at a WACO glider cockpit is coming along, I am told, but outside view is referred to Col. Gibbon's hands for some assistance.

3) My first try at hard-pointing the tow cable and attaching the Ord.3DZ "C-47" is less than successful, due to Gurney's balky 3DZ Studio--or my lack of knowledge of the process.

I will be seeking Col. Gibbon's help as well.

The tow cable itself looks pretty good. By using transparent elements, the cable has a natural "sway" which I think looks better than a straight line. It is currently 950 points long.
My current thinking is TWO hard points, one for the cable/C-47 where it attaches to the glider tow gear above the cockpit. The other is on the tail of the C-47, so the cable will "disappear" (or at least drop away).

4) With Knegel's help, possibly, the C-47 Ord.3DZ will "fly away" rather than simply drop. But this must wait for successful attachment.

5) A successful glider-C-47 combo suggests possibilities for a dynamite "full" mod--with large numbers of other aircraft in the air dropping parachutists, friendly air cover, enemy air attack, ground action, recon missions and so on.
And, of course, German gliders and tow planes will become possible also.
Knegel

Post by Knegel »

Hi again,

"4) With Knegel's help, possibly, the C-47 Ord.3DZ will "fly away" rather than simply drop. But this must wait for successful attachment. "

I think its well known how to make a droptank flying forward instead backward. Though the towing plane never will turn or land, but realy, the gliders are the targets, no?. ;)

Greetings,

Knegel
Wudpecker

Post by Wudpecker »

You think a Boeing 747 has trouble carrying the Space Shuttle?

Check what Col. Gibbon's WACO glider has to carry:

Following Rotten's suggestion of making the ORD14.3dz just the 3dz of the C-47 "M" (middle distance) model, this is what showed up. At least it's at the top of the glider.

Now to get the LOADOUT.DAT file to put it on the proper hard point.
It has some RS problems as well, and doesn't always "drop" as a drop tank on command.
Shreck suggest moving the C-47 center point to the end of the cable as an alternative. Migh try that.