Glider Flight Mission II

Discuss EAW and find answers to problems. Discuss any related WWII topics

Moderator: rotton50

rotton50
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by rotton50 »

Wuddy,

There really isn't a "flight model" for the C47/ ord14 drop tank. It will simply fall away to the rear with the default drop tank numbers in the weapons.dat file but can be made to fly away forward with the new numbers I put in the weapons.dat file.
I think the weapons.dat file I sent you seemed about right for the fly away speed but it can be adjusted as you see fit.
The only thing I noticed that will need work is that the C47 disappeared before it dwindled to a dot.

Ray
Wudpecker

Post by Wudpecker »

ROTTEN'S WEAPONS.DAT

Before "Rope" drop

Right at "Rope" drop

C-47 flies away--other one sometimes flies away, too, and sometimes diappears.

Comments:
ROTTEN--- Yes, the speed of the C-47 is way too fast. As for the "dot" view, don't worry. Col. Gibbon is working on a full C-47 3dz for the ORD.3dz.

As you can see, there is a second C-47 falling away at tank drop. Loadout.dat problem?
Last edited by Wudpecker on Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wudpecker

Post by Wudpecker »

COL. GIBBON---

No way to shorten the engine stop. Knegel has set fuel to Zero.

But why would you want to? Better to have a tiny bit of fuel left so the props continue to rotate on the C-47 as they fly away.
Are you concerned about the props showing on the glider? I think Shreck's new cockpit takes care of that.

Try Knegel's new WACO FM from my www.gmail.com site. Wudpecker sign in and password.

This will muck up the sound a tiny bit, as it won't fade immediately. But should not be a real problem. I think. Will work on sound next, since you seem to be doing a wonderful job on the C-47.
Col. Gibbon
Member of the Code Committee

Post by Col. Gibbon »

Oh well, back to the drawing board. I've checked the M.3dz, and I have nearly 80 free points, which is enough to refine the basic model into something looking less like a flying box.

My brilliant idea was to build the main C47 model onto hard points, which is fine until you release it, and the C47 falls apart! :lol: Bugger, sometimes EAW is so frustrating.

From my tests so far, getting the C47 to render properly is easy, at least! :)

CSS

Wings Over Bytom

At home, with my 3 children, Thomas, Jessica, and Nicola. :)
Shreck
Fitter Grade I
Fitter Grade I

Post by Shreck »

Woody,if you look carefully at your screenies(or mine anyway)you'll see what John is talking about,mainly the fact one can see the opposite engine cowling through the body of the plane,and the RS has a few other oddities too
some must be related to the fact that this is an ORD 3DZ now,and I am sure that like the shadow 3DZ it is controlled by other factors in the exe(IE exe defined rendering sequence)

as for the props not working,I was just doing a blur on a transparency mapped to the now type6 elements
S!..........Shreck 8)
"Ask not what you can do for your country,ask,what has your country been doing to you!"
Wudpecker

Post by Wudpecker »

SOUND FILES

Up at my www.gmail.com site. Ready to drop into game.
Authentic C-47 engine start and inflight sound, with volume cut so it seems they are NOT your glider.

See what you think of them. I'm not (too) sensitive to criticism. :twisted:
-----------------
COL. GIBBON----(and KNEGEL)

I owe John an apology. :oops:
The C-47 sound does not quit for almost 15 seconds. Definitely not good, especially with Rotten's current speedy C-47.
He has sent me a new Weapons.dat, which helps some.

I don't think Knegel can do anything about this. I don't think we can have minus fuel.
I'll work with the sound files, but there's not too much more I can do to shorten them.
At least they sorta fade out.

Also SORRY ABOUT YOUR FALL-APART C-47, John.
Look forward to new tricks. 8) Care to share your secret to getting the full flight F3dz to operate? We tried like hell. If it weren't for Rotten's use of the "M" model, we might have given up.
---------------

SHRECKSTER--- I sure hope John (and Von Beerhofen) have the right 3dz files-- hope we are on the same page with you.
Wudpecker

Post by Wudpecker »

SOUND PROBLEM---PARTIAL ANSWER

Absurdly simple.
Duplicate the "Start Engine" key and the "Drop Tanks" key in EAW.ini file.

This means you will have to start on Autopilot. Or "Instant Action".
Engine start will drop the C-47.

I tried it, and it works nicely---instant engine fade as the C-47's fly off.

Too compolicated for newbie users? There may be a way to use a .bat file to do it with a click. Any .bat file experts here?
Last edited by Wudpecker on Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wudpecker

Post by Wudpecker »

Approaching drop point

Not a bad landing. Most of the other gliders hit the water--a tribute to EAW's autopilot AI targeting. They went to the same place twice.

The troops running from the landed gliders seem to appear in enemy territory.

What with Knegel's FM, Shreck's glider cockpit work, Col. Gibbon joining us along with Von Beerhofen on the 3dz's, Rotten's new Loadout.dat and Weapons.dat to have the C-47's fly away ONE at a time, it ain't perfect.
But it's coming along pretty fast for such a project.

BTW, Roitten's new .dats are posted at my gmail site for testing.
Col. Gibbon

Post by Col. Gibbon »

OK, so who's going to do a Horsa, so VB can have a realistic A Bridge To Far addon?

All joking aside, what about the C47 towing a glider project?

CSS

Wings Over Bytom

Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

Too compolicated for newbie users?

Can't you change these settings in the EAW config screens?
Wudpecker

Post by Wudpecker »

JOHN (Col. Gibbon)-------

Von B would LOVE a Horsa glider, I'm sure. Shreck started to work on the cockpit until he realized we need your WACO.

The C-7 should be less of a hassle, now that we know about tow rope attaching.
It is not flyable, I think. Also needs a cockpit.
Hey, Shreck! Get out from under that Kombi van :D
Seriously, maybe Crashin' Jack might consider it.

Also, how about a "Parachute Flight" to go with the Gliders?
Somewhere there is a parachute mod for the C-47. And Pobs, I think, suggested changing the bomb crater 3dz to become a landed parachutist so they can survive. (They are currently bombs).
If we could get the parachutists coming down with the gliders, wouldn't that be a hoot!
Of course, there's that "10 minutes out from target" problem.

BTW, everyone, Jel's formation editor and Dom's formation randomizer are up at my www.gmail.com site if you want to play with the next step here. :D

MOGGY---

I don't believe "Configure Game" will let you duplicate keys. Have to do it in the EAW.ini file.

Minor matter, but I have to sign in each visit here.
Col. Gibbon

Post by Col. Gibbon »

Well, despite my hands giving me jip. I've managed to re-model some of the Dakota M.3dz, so it looks a bit more like an F.3dz in quality. I've still got quite a few points left, so I sould be able to do something with the engines and wings too. :)

Also, I found one decent shot of a real Dakota towing a Horsa. The interesting thing is to note the cable length. I think our distances for tug/glider are too short.

Thoughts please?

CSS

Wings Over Bytom

Wudpecker

Post by Wudpecker »

Agree with you, John. Tow cable was longer. I started with 1500 "points", dropped to 1200, and went to 950 because it made a better-looking couple.
I think 1200 to 1300 is about right.
Problem is the "M" view. Disappears pretty quick, doesn't it?

Only other problem is the crowded runway at take-off. Looks like a madhouse already, with cables everywhere.

Hey! I notice the glider flies higher than the C-47. That's a stroke of luck.

New "M" C-47 looks great. Maybe push the pointy nose in a few points.
Don't forget the Invasion stripes (I know you won't :D )
Last edited by Wudpecker on Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

Also, how about a "Parachute Flight" to go with the Gliders?
Somewhere there is a parachute mod for the C-47. And Pobs, I think, suggested changing the bomb crater 3dz to become a landed parachutist so they can survive. (They are currently bombs).

Would it be better also to have the paratroopers set up as Drop tanks - no explosion on landing - and if you had a mixed load squadron you could order them to drop at the same time as the gliders let go the tow.
Wudpecker

Post by Wudpecker »

Of course you are absolutely right, Moggy.
Great idea.

The only advantage of "bombs" was the large number of paratroopers exiting the plane in a nice order.

Wonder just how many drop tanks we can add on? :D