Glider Flight Mission II

Discuss EAW and find answers to problems. Discuss any related WWII topics

Moderator: rotton50

Col. Gibbon
Member of the Code Committee

Post by Col. Gibbon »

Moggy, Can't you mod the properties of the bombs so they cause no damage, and change the smoke and fire sprites so there all blank? That way your bombs would not explode, but your paras would show up on the ground. It would be worth asking on "another" forum about if we could add some new types of models, and spites to the game for the future to make this possible as part of the standard game. :wink:

CSS

Wings Over Bytom

At home, with my 3 children, Thomas, Jessica, and Nicola. :)
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

You could presumably blank the explosion sprites, but then you'd have no explosions in the game at all. VB may know more about this.
rotton50
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by rotton50 »

Guys,

You don't have to turn them into bombs to get the craters. There's a way to make drop tanks explode on contact. I use it in my weapons mod.

By fiddling around with the bytes I found that instead of using 04 as the second byte to define the weapon type as a drop tank in the weapons.dat file set the byte to 07. Then it acts just like a drop tank, including fuel load but it blows up like a bomb on contact and leaves a crater. I gave all my drop tanks a little "bang" in the weapons mod :) .

The only drawback is that you must drop the tanks first if you are carrying bombs and drop tanks. Otherwise the tanks drop with the bomb. That's not a problem for the glider mod though.

This would allow you to still order "drop tanks" but allow the replacement of the crater with little men. It doesn't solve the problem of universal replacement in the game. Well, one hurdle at a time.
Col. Gibbon

Post by Col. Gibbon »

Just an update on the LR C-47 model. Still got a way to go, and I'm skinning the model from scratch, mainly because the original model skin is badly mishapped.

CSS

Wings Over Bytom

Shreck
Fitter Grade I
Fitter Grade I

Post by Shreck »

Idea for you m8 :!:
steal one of the Il-2 skins as its got superior detail,just no shading!!!itll save you time and hand issues.....cut and paste/drag and drop/alter palette/fin :wink:
need one?
will find link for you,or,upload one from my collection for you..... :?:
more soon........S!
Shreck
"Ask not what you can do for your country,ask,what has your country been doing to you!"
Wudpecker

Post by Wudpecker »

Fran Zee has a good question.

posted by Fran_Zee:
[QB] I´m very curious what will happen with the glider if I shoot down the tug :confused:
[/QB]

Cut your speed, experten!

Almost got him

(^$&#@%^!%~!#% Refuses to show hits

Fran-----
Not much happens, I'm afraid to say. No hit bubbles on the "M" model of the C-47 tug. At least not yet.

HOWEVER, the glider does show bullet strikes and puffs of light when the 109's guns let go.
But remember, it has no fuel and doesn't explode.
All you can do is murder those poor soldiers aboard. :sigh:
What a ride they must be having!
Knegel

Post by Knegel »

Wudpecker wrote:Of course you are absolutely right, Moggy.
Great idea.

The only advantage of "bombs" was the large number of paratroopers exiting the plane in a nice order.

Wonder just how many drop tanks we can add on? :D

Hi,

we can add as many droptanks as bombs and we can drop them in the same frequence!

Greetings,
Col. Gibbon

Post by Col. Gibbon »

Forgive me for saying this, but in reality allied gliders were only used when we had air superiority. I don't recall reading any accounts of tugs/gliders being attacked by fighters. They were more often shot down by AA, as they were slow moving targets.

On the hit bubble question, I think we know how to edit the positions, so why not move the engine bubbles forward, so they are in the correct position for the engines of the C47, and edit the smoke trails too, in the flight file, so it appears as though the C47 has been hit.

CSS

Wings Over Bytom

Wudpecker

Post by Wudpecker »

Lookie What I found

And it's flyable, too.........

Either Shreck has a bad memory, or he's been holding out. Taken from a search of Shreck's site at Sandbagger's. Ade Kelley has the same Jimmy Olsan plane with new skins.

The paratroops drop as "drop tanks", if I read correctly.
Great minds run in the same ruts, here. :D
They do NOT explode on ground contact. Unfortunately, they disappear.

Well, well. That leaves us WAY ahead, right?

Some problems, natch:

1) The C-47 mod has its own loadout.dat and weapons.dat files, as well as FM
They block the same files for our WACO glider done by Knegel and Rotten.
That means the pair cannot be in the air at the same time, unless the files are modified.

2) The parachutists fly sideways when they get closer to ground. Not a real biggie, but it does look strange to follow them down.
Wudpecker

Post by Wudpecker »

Col. Gibbons, you are right.
Paratroops and gliders were not sent in without air superiority.

But that doesn't stop our EAW players from picking the same target destination as Luftwaffe pilots and attempting to stop them! (That's what I did).
Poor things. Just sitting ducks.

Gosh. That means.....we will have to have air cover.

Oh, BTW. Those @#%!#~^ are not easy to bring down!

------------
On the hit bubbles, whew! I'm glad you know a way to fix that.
rotton50
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by rotton50 »

Wuddy,

You can have the troopers and the glider at the same time. You just have to give up another slot in the weapons.dat file. One drop tank becomes the trooper.3dz and another is the C47.3dz.
The trooper drop tank would not need its' drop characteristics changed kile we did for the C47.

Loadouts must be adjusted appropriately but that's minor.

Of course the C47 with the troopers would be in another plane slot also.
Col. Gibbon

Post by Col. Gibbon »

Hi Rotten50.

You seem to have quickly grasped the way EAW can be tweaked. :)

Good going mate! :) :)

Wuddy.

Do those little buggers drop from under the plane, or from the side door position, as they should do?

CSS

Wings Over Bytom

Wudpecker

Post by Wudpecker »

They drop from the bottom, John. No side door open.
Shreck
Fitter Grade I
Fitter Grade I

Post by Shreck »

Either Shreck has a bad memory, or he's been holding out. Taken from a search of Shreck's site at Sandbagger's. Ade Kelley has the same Jimmy Olsan plane with new skins.

or maybe hes just been a little busy with the cockpit and wingviews and paid NO attention to any chat about paras :lol:
Shreck
"Ask not what you can do for your country,ask,what has your country been doing to you!"
Shreck
Fitter Grade I
Fitter Grade I

Post by Shreck »

Both C-47s with paras and WACOs in action......
Knegel,we need a Rp2.6 addition....C-47 with para loadout in the P-38H slot...thanks!!!!
Shreck