Glider Flight Mission II

Discuss EAW and find answers to problems. Discuss any related WWII topics

Moderator: rotton50

Wudpecker

Post by Wudpecker »

SHRECK------
We know you have a sense of humor, right 'OL buddy? Right? Huh? Errr...right?
Just kidding, guy. No one follows the old posts (darn it).
Was enormously pleased you did this.
Old work is not lost, nor unappreciated. Using it is our sincerest form of flattery.

How is the glider cockpit going?
Think we can drop it into John's new "M" 3dz?

One cockpit build is enough, I would guess, with all your other projects and R/L happening. Should I put out a call to Crashin' Jack to see if he will clean up the C-47 cockpit? It's a bit lumpy.
------------

I had better leave the 3dz's alone until you guys are done.....or need MY help (what a laugh )

Will fiddle with other things--like fine-tuning the C-47 sound and see about the pop-up "Drop Tanks" announcments, etc., unless you have a better suggestion. No, I won't stick it where the sun don't shine. 8)
Any of you guys good with English accents and making .wav files?
I don't exactly sound like a kid anymore.
----------

KNEGEL and ROTTEN-- Either one of you is capable on the loadout.dat and weapons.dat files.
(Edited--It seems Shreck has somehow managed a very interesting comboi of paratroops AND gliders)
The flyable/paratroop C-47 is currently in the P-38H slot.
Do you want me to post it at my gmail? Or do you want to just take it off Sandbagger's Shreck site?
Will that mess up any of the FM's, loadout.dat or weapons.dat files if we add other planes?

ANYBODY-------

It looks like we could add some other planes to the Glider Pilot menu.

We need some "top cover" fighters and it wouldn't hurt to have some ground-pounders like the Tiffy (Typhoon) or P-47 to counter the not-supposed-to exist opposition :D
I think it's just a matter of setting up an aircraft menu screen. We have all kinds of aircraft available.
Any suggestions?

War has its surprises. The ground-pounders could blast away at the ground AA and some of the anti-glider poles that were put up in anticipation of the Normandy landings (and Von B's "Bridge Too Far"). And Luftwaffe pilots might step in to add their own surprises (see note above).

Later, there is the nifty idea of using Pob's "Reconn Mission" to take pics from that "invisible" skinned P-38 so we get to see the landing sites. Will have to ask him how it's coming along.

OAW works wonders if files are set up right.
Shreck
Fitter Grade I
Fitter Grade I

Post by Shreck »

Woody LOL
if you read the read-me that came with the C-47 para mod,you'll see that I just added the "ugly" cockpit,so it wasnt a P-38 to fly....LOL,have a C-47 cockpit far better,and you'll probably get it with the WACO cockpit....when I finish it :!:
LOL
ShreckImage
"Ask not what you can do for your country,ask,what has your country been doing to you!"
Wudpecker

Post by Wudpecker »

Oh, while true that gliders and paratroops were not used without air superiority, as Col. Gibbon pointed out...

However, read this first person account told to me from an English sergeant/pilot of a C-47 towing gliders to "Market Garden" and a later flight facing a FW-190 during the "Battle of the Bulge":
It's at "Kilroy Was Here" website, where several of my stories were used.

http://kilroywashere.org/009-Pages/Wallace/Wallace.html
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

They drop from the bottom, John. No side door open

Just a thought. Wouldn't it be possible to make the door of the C47 a weapons rack so that when the paras were dropped the 3dz codes operative in weapons racks could cause the door to "open".
Shreck
Fitter Grade I
Fitter Grade I

Post by Shreck »

so that when the paras were dropped the 3dz codes operative in weapons racks could cause the door to "open".

does the exe allow weapons to be set at any angle?attitude?
if so,have the door as a transparency,or at least near black,and place the hardpoint right in the middle of that door!
now that could be very cool!....gee,a new rounder M.3dz Image....wasnt someone doing an HR C-47 at some point? CJ maybe?
Shreck
"Ask not what you can do for your country,ask,what has your country been doing to you!"
Wudpecker

Post by Wudpecker »

Hell, I can't even get a tow rope to disappear.

Now you guys want me to open a door and jump out of a perfectly good airplane? :eek:
Knegel
Member of the Code Committee

Post by Knegel »

Wudpecker wrote:KNEGEL and ROTTEN-- Either one of you is capable on the loadout.dat and weapons.dat files.
(Edited--It seems Shreck has somehow managed a very interesting comboi of paratroops AND gliders)
The flyable/paratroop C-47 is currently in the P-38H slot.
Do you want me to post it at my gmail? Or do you want to just take it off Sandbagger's Shreck site?
Will that mess up any of the FM's, loadout.dat or weapons.dat files if we add other planes?

ANYBODY-------

It looks like we could add some other planes to the Glider Pilot menu.

We need some "top cover" fighters and it wouldn't hurt to have some ground-pounders like the Tiffy (Typhoon) or P-47 to counter the not-supposed-to exist opposition :D
I think it's just a matter of setting up an aircraft menu screen. We have all kinds of aircraft available.
Any suggestions?

War has its surprises. The ground-pounders could blast away at the ground AA and some of the anti-glider poles that were put up in anticipation of the Normandy landings (and Von B's "Bridge Too Far"). And Luftwaffe pilots might step in to add their own surprises (see note above).

Later, there is the nifty idea of using Pob's "Reconn Mission" to take pics from that "invisible" skinned P-38 so we get to see the landing sites. Will have to ask him how it's coming along.

OAW works wonders if files are set up right.

Hi Wudy,

it would be most helpfull, if we would know where the train is going to!!

Its important to have a exact planelist for this setup(plane type and slot to be used)!!

Since the loadout.dat and specialy weapons.dat is very special, and cause this two files include the datas of ALL available planes, we need to know the other included planes and loadouts.

I dont think its a real good idea to have the Waco + C47 and the single C47 in the same flight. This will be a massacre or no enemy need to show up!!

Imho this only make sence and can bring fun with a topcover of some SpitIXc´s (for example).

If this shal be a special Market Garden" setup, i would vote to have the C47 + Waco as flyable plane in the P51B slot, and as Ai plane in one of the bomber slots. The Ai Waco would use a Bomb as towing plane, if they get under presure they will drop them, what would be better than diving down with the Waco on the tail.

Greetings,
Knegel

Post by Knegel »

btw, we can easyly make the paras drop sideward from the C47.

The engine hitbubble on the C47 position(Waco/C47 setup) isnt a good solution, cause after cutting the cable the smoke will remain where the C47 was, right in front of the glider.

Greetings,
Col. Gibbon

Post by Col. Gibbon »

Hi Guys.

I'm off to the Docs later this morning to have some injections into my wrists to get rid of these dead fingers, for at least some days.

Anyway, this is where I am with the M.3dz of the C47. It's proving to be quite a challenge to make a twin engine model, with a reasonable shape, but I think I'm getting there. I still have 53 points to use, which I'm going to use on the wings and engines, and I suppose I should add some sort of landing gear, so it looks right on take off :)

See how it goes after the small prick. :D

CSS

Wings Over Bytom

At home, with my 3 children, Thomas, Jessica, and Nicola. :)
Wudpecker

Post by Wudpecker »

Good luck tomorrow, John.
Your 3dz is coming along nicely---but you are gonna be a little sore, I would think. Knock on Wood(pecker).
Wudpecker

Post by Wudpecker »

Knegel---
Thanks for the input.
We do need a list of aircraft-- probably both for Normandy and Market Garden.
Those are the only two big glider/paratroop drops I can think of right this minute--at least on the Allied side.
Maybe Moggy can tell us--- and I will put out calls for info at SimHQ and Frugals.

As you said, some top cover would be very good.
Wudpecker

Post by Wudpecker »

ON SCREEN MESSAGES
Replaces "low on fuel", "Drop Tanks", "Attack ground targets," etc.

With a little peek-a-boo at Shreck's cockpit :D
(Edited) I sure hope Col. Gibbon meant what he said about skids)

At my www.gmail.com site if anyone wants to test in game.
Col. Gibbon

Post by Col. Gibbon »

Looks like you'll need some sound files done too, to replace the "rodger, drop tanks" for "roger, drop tow line", ect, answer your new commands. :wink:

BTW. I had the jab in one wrist today, and apart from some pain when the doc was trying to find the right place, the hand feels a lot better, apart from the fact I have to ware a splint on the hand. Next week, I'm going to have the other wrist done, and see how it goes from there. :)

CSS

Wings Over Bytom

At home, with my 3 children, Thomas, Jessica, and Nicola. :)
Wudpecker

Post by Wudpecker »

Better than TWO sore arms, John.
Here's hoping you are busier than a one-armed paper-hanger. :D

Yep. Need sound files.
Wudpecker

Post by Wudpecker »

SOME PICS TO ENJOY WHILE RECOVERING, John.

Troops and pilots used chalk to do nose art on the WACO.

D-Day C-47 Markings

The Dakota/Skytrain wasn't the only glider tug/paratroopers/cargo. The Curtiss C-46 "Commando" was also used by the Allies.
(Don't panic! I don't think we have one)