ETO Campaigns and 1.28c?

Discuss EAW and find answers to problems. Discuss any related WWII topics

Moderator: rotton50

Skylark

ETO Campaigns and 1.28c?

Post by Skylark »

Hi Guys,
At the moment I'm running Emil's ETO '43-'45 Campaign
which has the original release of the 1.28 exe.
I'm interested in upgrading this original exe.
with the latest 1.28c release.
I've read that there are specific 1.28c exe installs
for SPAW, SAW and DAW.
However, my inquiry concerns Emil's campaign.
Will there be a specific release for this campaign.
Or is it perfectly safe to install the new 1.28c exe
over the original?

I also have other Campaigns created by Emil too.
Normandy, Ardennes and his ETO '42-'45 Campaign.
Will I encounter any difficulties should I install
the 1.28c exe into them?
They have the older 1.26 exe. versions.

I shall await your response before proceeding....

Cheers mates
David

--------------------------------------------------------------
Should these questions have already been addressed.
Please direct me to the appropraite thread.

Thanks Guys......
Crashin' Jack

Post by Crashin' Jack »

Personally, I would copy the original setup to a new folder, and then install the 1.28c to the new copy. Then you can go ahead and test. If you find any errors, you can then correct them, keep track of what needed fixing, and offer a release for 1.28c!

Easy!

:D
RAF_Roy
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by RAF_Roy »

Skylark,

Don't you have access to the code forum?

Because as much info as is available is in the threads there.

Unfortunately I don't have enough info to tell you what will work and what will not.

I can't speak for SAW but I looked at DAW made by Jel (extracted files from the .cdfs) and it is not an upgrade at all.
Maybe it works somewhat online with the new features that can be set from the online configuration interface vin EAW.exe (I have not the time to try it) but the mission files, skins, FM and all appear the same,
so there is bound to be trouble, ctds with single mission or campaigns.

A huge mistake IMHO. Espeically to offer them at SimHQ like Jel did.

I don't think it is smart to make a 1.28c package for these old campaigns unless you are going to change the missions files, remove Fm's or fix them to use 1.28c era, and remove the skins or upgrade them also.
ot at least split the files out so the proper configuration would be possible using OAW offline.

Without that the release of "for 1.28c" packages is a bad idea since anyone who expects to fly offline is going to get CTDs etc.

Sure you can try, at the least you will need to adjust the runways.dat, and likely a whole lot more, experiment.

But as I said my opinion as far as making them available at the SimhQ a big mistake IMHO without the proper changes.
Knegel
Member of the Code Committee

Post by Knegel »

Hi David,

just the 1.28c.exe wont do the job, it need the complete patch.

Iam not sure if Emils campaigns include a new Worldsetup, if not you should be able to use EAW1.28c without problems.

You should do like CJ suggested. Backup your setups, then patch each with EAW1.28c and give it a try.

You just need to enable "OldDamage=1"(EAW.ini), otherwise the damage model will be a little to easy.
If you want to see Emils plane selection screens, you need to enable "OldStyle=1".

btw. Specialy with older FM/DM´s the new WEP toggle button in EAW1.28c+JoinMayhem4 is a nice feature. Otherwise its easy to cock you engine.

Greetings,

Knegel
Crashin' Jack

Post by Crashin' Jack »

Knegel wrote:
btw. Specialy with older FM/DM´s the new WEP toggle button in EAW1.28c+JoinMayhem4 is a nice feature. Otherwise its easy to cock you engine.

Ralf, what is WEP? War Emergency Power?
Knegel

Post by Knegel »

rgr
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

Hi Ralf,

I was hoping you'd post your input.
I've received many suggestions on how to impliment 1.28c.
I'm really not that well versed on playing with exe files.
But nothing ventured nothing gained.....right!

At the moment I have two versions of Emil's '43-'45 campaign
one has the 1.26 exe the other 1.28 original.

My intuition tells me to try the 1.28 version first.....

However, I may not be able to really get into this until the new year.
I've got too many projects to finish first and Christmas is fastly approaching too...

Thank for your reponse
David
Knegel

Post by Knegel »

Hi David,

i have tested Emils ETO setups and found that i already made EAW1.28 compatible FM/DM´s.

Thats not perfect for EAW1.28c, but good enough. :)

The campaign setup itself use the absolut default EAW world, as such it just can get used with EAW1.28c.

If you dont use OAW128 for now, this is a good starting point.

If you want, i can setup a OAW128 zip, which include Emiles 42-45 and 43-45 campaigns, ready to be used. Both in combination with a seasonal test setup.

Then you would have a good base to start with, with many examples regarding the new EAW folder system.

This new folder system is realy a huge advantage!

You can point the exe to static folders and/or CDF´s, but you still can change this static setups by loading additional files into the EAW root.

This keep your basic static setups (Emiles ETO 1943.35 for example) absolut stable, cause you just never touch the files itself, but you can adjust the weather, skins, terrains etc, by loading wanted files into the EAW root.
Each basic setup also can have its own music folder and it have its own savedata folder, so stored missions wont get lost somehow.

Greetings,

Knegel