OT: How do you partition a USB drive?

Discuss EAW and find answers to problems.

Moderator: rotton50

Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

OT: How do you partition a USB drive?

Post by Moggy »

I've just bought a 1.5 terrabyte USB drive, mainly for Krys to use with her photographic occupation.

Suddenly we discover that Photoshop, which she uses quite a lot, has a bug which Adobe are keeping very quiet about i.e. that on some systems it will not save files to a drive in which there is more than a terrabyte of free space.

My reaction to that is to partition the drive into two 3/4 terrabyte chunks. The problem is that Windows XP disk manager will not allow me to shrink the size of a partition so that I can fit in a second one, Partition Magic - it appears - won't work on a situation where the actual work - as here -needs to be done on a reboot, and neither will the lauded freeware partition manager EaseUS.

Anyone any suggestions?
Col. Gibbon
Member of the Code Committee
Member of the Code Committee

Post by Col. Gibbon »

Hi Peter.

I've got a small 300 Gig USB drive, and it has it's own OS partition on it, which can't be deleted, or altered. I suspect yours is the same, so you might have problems chopping up the HD into new partitions.

CSS

Wings Over Bytom

At home, with my 3 children, Thomas, Jessica, and Nicola. :)
rotton50
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by rotton50 »

Moggy,

I don't really know much but you say that it won't save if there's more than 1 terabytes of FREE space.

If so, could you load up a bunch of junk to the drive to bring the free space below the 1 terabyte limit?

Admittedly a pretty primitive fix. :lol:
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

Hello chaps - I actually started out down the road of throwing as much junk as I could into the drive to make the space less, but it would have taken a quarter pf a terabyte, so I stopped and looked round for alternatives.

In the end emailed the support team for EaseUS, and they suggested disconnecting all other peripherals before trying to shrink the partition. This actually worked, and I was then able to make two partitions on the USB drive, both less than terrabyte, and lo, Photoshop was talking to them again!

Now all I need to fix is why I can only get 1/2 MB on a supposed 4MB broadband connection!
rotton50
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by rotton50 »

It's amazing how much of our technology DOESN'T work right.

I guess it's just as well we aren't going back to the moon for a while. :(