Transparency files

Discuss EAW and find answers to problems. Discuss any related WWII topics

Moderator: rotton50

Iron Mike
Member of the Code Committee

Re: Transparency files

Post by Iron Mike »

ImageThe 12 or so He-177s of KG100 have been in my folder at the ftp for several years. Both the day version and the night camo from Steinbach. they all have been flown successfully in 1.28-9. They are finished without a cockpit. Alan never finished the model.

I used the 12 known operational aircraft from KG100 based upon the usual photographic and print illustrations of the aircraft and a printout of the complete list of He-177s assigned to KG100 including aircraft codes and werknumber.

Granted these are not Ray's version, but, they are quite good and the major bugs have been worked out of the skins and squadron 3dzs.

If all else fails, punt. Or, RUN AWAY!!!
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

Ray - I missed the "Alt Planes" folder. Is it in the current 160 download?

Mike- the model and the skins look pretty good to me. What was unfinished about the model? Flyright took it over from my first rough workings on it. I do remember some difficulty with the undercart. Then there were these great multiskins, so I assumed the model was finished. I have it flying in 160. But there is this prop glitch. Maybe the way I converted the MS for 160. I will get Ray's versions in the Alt Planes folder.

This has come up because in prep for final retirement in December, and having more time available, I have been sorting out the horrendous number of files and projects I have on the hard disk. So I've been looking at a lot of the old "projects in progress". I've got 160 launches now for the full development versions of Iraq, Syria, Palestine 1948, Mid East 1914-18, Midway 2, China, CAW, Dunkirk, Switzerland, and RAF Bomber Command 1939-41, most of which the last work I did was under 128C, 129, and 1.4/1.5. So they've needed translation into 1.6. Looking at Tony's 160 beta versions of some of these has helped with this.

Amongst other things at the moment seeing if I can do a 1.6 single missions translation of DOM's Attack in the West, on which I did a lot of work under the abortive 129-2016 project. Refreshingly, looks like using separated plane sets in 1.6 (using DOM's manager is not possible) makes the job easier than I originally thought.

Anyway ... Steinbock was one of them. Features the He177, but also needs the Ju188 and a Do217.
rotton50
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by rotton50 »

Once again.

CHECK THE 1.6 AIRCRAFT_INVENTORY before starting any projects, whether a scenario or a new model.

1 - The HE177 model I reworked uses the exact same skin as the one shown above but it has no issues. It has correct landing gear, good props, a cockpit and a flight model. The A3-R5 even has a big mother of a cannon.

2 - There is a Do217K in the ETO folder. It's a slight rework of the Do-17 that I previously upgraded to enhanced lo-res. Might need a different skin but the model is solid.

That is all. :D
Jel
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by Jel »

Moggy here is a link to Ray's files:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/g6ubsk72s ... 9.exe/file

:) Jel
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

Ray - because you have (quite correctly) laid about me several times for not looking in the 160 inventory, this time I did, and the alt plane set you mention is not in the current 160 downloads 1 and 2.

I've now downloaded it from the link Tony posted. And have succesfully made off with the He177 variants. Thanks for those.

Got the Do217 aussi.

Whilst we're about it, is there any other 160 stuff not in the two recent downloads, which I can lay my hands on?

LATER

Scrap last para above, now seen tony's post at SimHQ.
rotton50
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by rotton50 »

Not upset, just want to remind our group that there are a lot of models in the 1.6 inventory and that is the first place you should look for something. In effect, the Aircraft_inventory folder has taken the place of Talley-ho when it comes to aircraft.

In addition, I see a lot of planes being posted at SimHQ that aren't the latest ones available. In some case it's because the skins for the ones in the 1.6 inventory are not appropriate to the scenario being presented but in some cases the later models are a direct substitution.

What I'm asking is that you all take a little extra time to see if the better models in Aircraft_Inventory will fit with what you are doing. This way we are presenting the players with best possible face of the 1.6 development line.

Now back to this friggin' Ca311.

FWIW, don't ask me to do any more all glass cockpit airplanes. It's adversely affecting my heath.

Well, after the Ju188 anyhow. :D
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

I swear I shall look at the inventory first. :twisted:

Doing that now with the planes for the AITW rework. Many are there, and the new FMs are a blessing.

The only reason I may not use some of the models is that in some slots there are specific squads and skins lovingly made for those squads, and it may be the specific skins wont quite fit the reworked models.
FWIW, don't ask me to do any more all glass cockpit airplanes. It's adversely affecting my heath.
Well, after the Ju188 anyhow. :D
I have (a while ago) done battle with this. There are toothmarks in the desk.
rotton50
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by rotton50 »

Yes, I'd say that probably 50-60% of the newer models won't fit with the old skins but that still leaves a lot of models that are easy to change around.

A general rule of thumb is that if it's just an enhanced lo-res model, like the Do17 for example, all the Talley-ho Do17 skins would fit with little or no changes.

If it's a conversion of a lo-res model to one of my "empty F" hi-res models 100% of the older skins will not work.

That said, the skinning work needed to convert from one squadron to another isn't a very involved process. Not all the time, of course, but certainly in some cases. From vast experience, the 3dz wire frame is by far the more time consuming process.

And FWIW, take your teeth out before working on glass cockpits. It keeps the desk nicer. Ask me how I know.
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

rotton50 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:54 pm And FWIW, take your teeth out before working on glass cockpits. It keeps the desk nicer. Ask me how I know.
All I will say is "ugly French bombers" Which look like flying greenhouses

Iron Mike

Post by Iron Mike »

Ray, the prop glitch is 1.6. The model was designed for 1.28 and not given a cockpit. I didn't experience any issues with the model in that exe, the props rendered correctly there. The changes in 1.6 have made for glitches in more than one plane. The model uses P110cPEX.tpc with P110cPRA.TPC for the prop and spinner, but you must know that. Anyway, all of my skins were done in 1.2X format and well, need to be adjusted to conform to the changes in 1.6. But, you know that too. :crying:
If all else fails, punt. Or, RUN AWAY!!!