No Camels

Discuss EAW and find answers to problems.

Moderator: rotton50

Jel
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

No Camels

Post by Jel »

In all versions that I have of IRAQ in my various PCs I cannot see camels :(
The TMod is 54 and I set up a truck convoy.
What is interesting is that the shadow is a camel, but the object looks like a jeep.
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: No Camels

Post by Moggy »

These screenies are from 2006:

It may be that when you made a flyable setup out of the Iraq files you had some things were not present or substituted.

I'm going to look for the town location with the camel squad.
Jel
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by Jel »

The problem at my end seems to be the TMod54 3dz files.

They all point to a "Gcamel" TCP, but the only one that looks like a camel is the shadow.

In my screenie I had made a "truklist.mpf" with all ten values 54.
I flew a truck interdiction. That saved me from having to find the location.

The four 3dz files are all dated 15th Auug 2005.

;) Jel
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

Ive been pulling apart the setup I have here, and it seems there has been confusion with tmods 53-55. They ought to be as follows:

53-Iraqi armoured car (Jon's Beaverette)
54-mounted Iraqi troops - place held by Shreck's camel mounted figure
55-Iraqi light tank-place held by the armored car model at 53

53 and 55 should link to the "GBeavr" skinfiles
54 should link to the "Gcamel" skinfiles.

They are all in the original 256 line unsplit tmod.dat marked as "moving" and "armed".

Shreck's camel files h and l are 433 bytes, d is 506 bytes, s is 89 bytes.
Jel
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by Jel »

My files are the same size- the H and the L are identical apart from their names.

I converted the TPC files to PCX and they look OK

To me this suggests that we do not have the correct 3dz files, other than the shadow.

All the files came from a zip file which became "3-Objects".
Note the date of these. I think that I would have downloaded them from the gen server, and I used them to make a 1.28c installation.

All the later versions were derived from these originals, and the TMods have never been changed.
Using the 1.28c folder I have here I get the same problem, and see jeeps and not camels.
Jel
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by Jel »

I tried again with this "truklist.mpf" file in 1.28c which included 50-55 so we could see the other vehicles.
No camels in sight :(

Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

When I load the 433 byte tmod54 file into the 3dz editor together with the skinfile I get the camel.

However, in the live setup where tardata.dat calls for tmod54 (i.e. at Fallujah) I get a hi-res kubel wagon - interesting that you get the default jeep.

Thought it might br a file hygiene matter, but there is no other tmod54 in the setup. Checked tardata which references 36h, and the unsplit tmod.dat.

Bizarre.
Jel
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by Jel »

Your post gave me a clue. I renamed your "TMod.dat" in the "objects" folder forcing the UAW160 exe to use the default one in the GameData folder. Bingo :)

I will try to split the dodgy one.
Jel
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by Jel »

That was curious!
The screenie was from an Axis interdiction which showed camels, and I thought that the problem was solved.
However, when I flew a RAF truck interdiction I saw jeeps again. So I copied the four TMod files and re named them as TMogs. The RAF truck interdiction gave me camels.
I will re-test the axis one again without the TMods, to see if I get trucks :)
Jel
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by Jel »

Bingo

Allied truck interdiction:

Axis truck interdiction:

It was not a dodgy TMod.dat file at all.

The only issue is the name of the TMod in "Tartypes.str", and there is nothing in the source code to differentiate between allied and axis versions.

:)
Last edited by Jel on Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

Good job Jel :beer:

I haven't properly updated my Iraq working setup ro 1.6 so haven't done the tmod.dat split.

You should be able to see the camels crowded at Fallujah now!
Jel
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by Jel »

The cause :)

I went back to my original 1.28c version, and checked the 3D.CDF.
We had already added some TMogs and 54 was one of them. In default mode TMod 54 is a car, so this meant that we would see either the German version or the Allied one.

The files in the CDFs ended up in GameData, so there were already TMog54 files in the UAW160 GameData folder (which had originated from the 1.28c 3D.CDF)
That is what we were originally seeing when we flew an allied mission in IRAQ, it was displaying the graphics from the TMog54 files in GameData.
When we flew a German mission the exe would use the TMod54 files present in the IRAQ theatre, and show the camels.

There are not many TMogs in the CDF or the GameData folder. It looks like the road vehicles, the armoured vehicles, the freighter and the destroyer.
Jel
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by Jel »

What this actually means is that if you are flying Allied over Axis territory then if you encounter TMods 50-57 or 72 the exe will use the corresponding TMog from the "GameData" folder, so it is not just a problem with the camel.

What I have now done is to add an additional TMod (256) to the tartypes list (as we can have up to 1000), named "Camel Corps", and to rename the TMod 54s to 256. Setting up a "trucklist.mpf" with a couple of 256s produced the camel in both Axis and Allied truck interdictions without the need for the TMog256 3dzs.

This is an axis mission over allied territory so it uses the TMods from the IRAQ theatre including my 256:

This is an allied mission over axis territory using the default TMogs in GameData plus my TMod256 (as there is no TMog256):

By re-naming the 54s to 256 I removed them, so if the 54 is referenced the exe will display the one in the "GameData" folder, either as a TMod or a TMog depending on its location.

;) Jel
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

:rock:

Done some tmog creation in my working folder, and provided an axis alternative for that RAF armoured car turning up in the axis armoured colums.

This is the first EAW stuff I have done in a while. Thanks for getting me going again.
Jel
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by Jel »

Camel slaughter- testing with ShoGun at GameRanger :)

My AIs did that before I got chance to see the convoy LOL