Glider for the Eastern Front

Discuss EAW and find answers to problems.

Moderator: rotton50

Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Glider for the Eastern Front

Post by Moggy »

Bit of fun for the Eastern front, drop the JU52 tug and see how many assault gliders you can land in one peice on the target.

The DFS 230 Luftwaffe assault glider had defensive armament. One machine in the rear of the cockpit and can additionally have two fixed forward facing machine guns.
rotton50
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Re: Glider for the Eastern Front

Post by rotton50 »

Don't know if you recall but Woody and I worked out a pretty good glider scenario about 10-15 years ago.

I made a TMOD from an Armstrong Albemarle with a long cable out the back and designated it as a rocket in the loadout. You flew the combination from the Horsa Glider cockpit and when ready hit the rocket release key. At that point you'd see the Albemarle fly off into the distance (actually a very slow rocket) and you'd then descend without power. (I had to use the Albemarle because a tail dragger like a C-47 wouldn't sit correctly on the runway since the Horsa also wasn't a tail dragger.)

It worked very well with all the gliders landing in a pretty small space. Problem was, as far as EAW was concerned you just crash landed in enemy territory and thus you mission was a failure.

I used the same idea for an Ohka / Betty combo but that was even more limiting because you were DEAD and the end of the mission.

OTOH, a Mistel combo would work since you are flying the survivor plane after the release.

BTW, the Albemarle isn't on Talley-ho, as far as I can tell, so if you happen to have it I'd like to upgrade it as per my usual process.
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

I've just seen all the posts about the old glider scenario. A lot of work. Looks like all the problems and possibilities were thrashed out there.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2994

This came about by accident. I was checking up all the Tuma biplane skins and noting any we hadn't reworked/reused for the Italy/Balkans/Ukraine scemario. There were three B534 biplanes confiscated by the Luftwaffe from the Czech air force after the invasion of the reaminder of the Czech lands in 1939. They were then used as temporary nightfighters and glider tugs. I would like to have used them. Looked up the German usec of gliders, found they used them a lot to resupply on the Eastern front 1943-45. So I knoecked out the German glider from the Horsa available at Sandbaggers. Then realised that the B534s were only used for training. So knocked out a Ju52 glider tug from the one peice Ju52 M.3dz. Made that a peice of attachable ordnance.

The idea is that glider/tug combo can be a target for attacking fighters, and on the other side a challenge to drop the tug and land in the target area either enemy or own side.

I have done some work on a Mistel combination.

rotton50
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by rotton50 »

Hmmm, any chance there's ANOTHER glider discussion? 'cuz I'm hardly a part of this one.

I mean, I built a working TMOD of the Albemarle with working transparent props which doesn't show up in screenshots. Plus, Woody and I had some long discussions about the limits EAW has in regard to mission success.

We even discussed making a dual cockpit by adding weapons action codes (like for the 5 inch rocket rack) to all the elements that represent the tug cockpit so that when you hit the "fire" button you go from flying the tug to flying the glider.

Ah, I guess it doesn't matter at this point. The mod would have had very limited appeal.
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

Done a search using "glider". Various threads mention the earlier glider project, the double cockpit idea, and your Albemarle. Looks like the file hosting was done by RAF_Roy. I'm going to do a search of my hard disk, but I don't remember downloading it.
rotton50
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by rotton50 »

Na, don't bother. It's a dead end project.

Did you come across the Albemarle model in your search?
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

Found your Albemarle I think. Sent over by air drop.