Aircraft for Mogggy's Dunkirk v1.60+

Discuss EAW and find answers to problems. Discuss any related WWII topics

Moderator: rotton50

Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Aircraft for Mogggy's Dunkirk v1.60+

Post by Moggy »

There is a Hs126 in the existing package. I dare say it could stand much improvement:

http://mogggy.org/dunkirk/aircraft/hs126.zip

rotton50
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by rotton50 »

Yes, truth is, I can do up a better one from one of the upgraded bi-planes that have two advantages. One is they are hi-res and also, 98% of the R/S issues have been fixed.
Iron Mike
Member of the Code Committee

Post by Iron Mike »

Thank you gentlemen. The Henschel is the last one for the Luftwaffe.

I'll look at the old one. Thanks Moggs.
If all else fails, punt. Or, RUN AWAY!!!
Iron Mike

Post by Iron Mike »

Peter, I still have almost all of the French and about half of the RAF to do. So, don't expect to see the skins soon. The French have many good models thanks to Ray and his predecessors but, they seem to have a quite a few alignment errors and they take time to correct. Sometimes I wonder if all of the effort is worth it. I guess it was the 1968 issue of Scale Modeler that had the "Battle of France" as the theme. It introduced me to those great camos and strange bombers the Armee D'Air had. I couldn't resist the topic.

BTW, is there a Battle of France, "the Ides of May" as I've heard of and read about scenario for EAW? If not, the aircraft will be available.

If you look at the 109D nachtjadger you will see that I eliminated the supercharger air intake on the cowl that was left over from the original E model. I added and/or replaced most of the wing bracing on the HS126. I liked the model, thank you for sending it. Anyway, the straight lines on the Br693 resemble my latest EKG tape, not what is on the tex panel. So, I need to do a lot of hunting for the correct elements because some times an element is buried under 4 piggy-backs. I do not know how to make a mirror image 3dz model. I have to correct the right and left sides separately. It has taken almost 2 weeks just to fix the right hand side (nose and wing) of the Br693. Now I'm started the left side. The tail is jet to come.

Finally, I need to get a free photo posting service to I can put up new images on line.
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

Hello Mike, many thanks for the continuing work. :beer:

Many of those French aircraft were first created by me for the original Dunkirk back in 2001 (along with that Hs126). EAW had very few. They were intended to be temporary quick bodge-ups in the hope proper modellers could take them on any improve them. Luckily Ray has since updated many of them.

As to the Battle of France, in paralell I have been working on and off on a further update of DOM's Attack in the West. DOM's original manager programmes wont work in windows 10 64 bit, but I'm sorting it out for 160 with separate Holland, Belgium, and France setups, and many of the aircraft are/will be interchangeable with Dunkirk.

As to images, let me see if I can sort out a way you can use mogggy.org for that.
rotton50
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by rotton50 »

Mike, making the mirror image is doable but it's a giant PITA when there are so many piggybacks.

Sometimes you have to do a cost benefit analysis and decide if a manual correct as you are doing might be faster than the reverse image method.

The problem with the using the mirroring program is that you have to delete all the piggybacks before performing the operation and then afterwards you have to put them back, one by one.

In general, if it's only mapping alignment issues I do it your way but if there are element shape changes involved I'll do it the other way.

One thing I do that helps is to run two 3dz studios at the same time. Half the screen for the corrected side and half for the other side. Then I highlight each element in the corrected side, hop over to the other side and set the mapping coordinates to the same numbers. Tedious to be sure but pretty simple.

If you start at the highest number element and work your way down you will see the mapping changes on a piggyback as opposed to starting at the lowest number where the piggybacks doesn't show the change.

Another thing that helps is to apply an action code to the piggybacks so they disappear until the action code button is hit. If there are multiple piggys I use the pilot action code because it gives you three options, live, dead and bailed out, rather than two action codes like the landing gear's up and down. You just have to remember to undo the action codes when you're done.

Also, I'm not sure you know this but I made a set of hacked 3dz studio programs that have different main sections. Normally when you select the F section it asks of you want the other sections added too. I made a set that have A,B,C,E,G,P,V and W as the main sections.

This works great when you are checking mapping section joints, like the tail to the fuselage.

The only problem is that they are from an earlier version of 3dz Studio and some "quirks" still existed so I use them for joint alignment and mapping issues only.
Iron Mike

Post by Iron Mike »

Peter,
Thank you for any help for posting images. I used to use photobucket but $300 a year is not in my budget.

Ray,
I hadn't thought of the side by side bit. I'll have to try it. What I have been doing is copying by hand the corrected element numbers then opening the opposite 3dz and making the change. The other thing I do is save the main 3dz then save a backup. I don't know about your experience but I sometimes have a crash caused by element error or something like that and then 3dz studio crashes. When I reload it the 3dz I was working on is gone. So, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice... So, the double back up.

This one needs a glamour job, ArsenalVG33. Thanks
RAF_Dumoulin
Fitter Grade I
Fitter Grade I

Post by RAF_Dumoulin »

Hi,
Thank you for any help for posting images. I used to use photobucket but $300 a year is not in my budget.
I use this image store from ages (I let down Photobucket long time ago)

Code: Select all

https://abload.de
It's great and free
Just it's in german language only .. but it'seasy to understand how to use the store .. and you can also use Google translator to have a idea
Hope it's help

Regards.Image
A common mistake that people make when trying to make something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools...

http://eaw.wikispaces.com
http://gusthesailor.proboards.com/index.cgi?
rotton50
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by rotton50 »

Iron Mike wrote: The other thing I do is save the main 3dz then save a backup. I don't know about your experience but I sometimes have a crash caused by element error or something like that and then 3dz studio crashes. When I reload it the 3dz I was working on is gone. So, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice... So, the double back up.
3dz Studio will crash if you attempt to change the mapping coordinates if the element isn't highlighted. That can happen when you are switching back and forth from one side to another and happen to hit a blank spot on the display window.

Of course, nothing wrong with making frequent backups anyhow.
Iron Mike

Post by Iron Mike »

Merci Gus. I just popped onto the site. It will be a challenge but, what else is life?
rotton50
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by rotton50 »

FIWI, I switched from Photobucket to Mediafire and I'm quite happy with it.
Iron Mike

Post by Iron Mike »

Caudron 714

D.510

D.520

Still working...I need to post the Luftwaffe jpgs
Iron Mike

Post by Iron Mike »

Bf109 D-1 IV NJG2

Bf109 E-1 2-JG27

Bf109 E-3 9JG26

Bf109 E-4 1JG1

BF110C-1 3 ZG26

Bf110C-2 1ZG52

Bf110-C NJG1

Do17Z 9KG76

He111 KG 53

Hs123v14IISLG2

hs126 2.(H)-31

Ju52 KGrzbV 1

Ju 88A-4 7KG51

This should do for the Luftwaffe...OK Peter?
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

Beautiful set Mike. Many thanks.

One very small point. I recall that the 109d of the night fighting sqaud fought with open cockpits. Bit nippy, but anything to improve night view I suppose.
Iron Mike

Post by Iron Mike »

I will take a look. The refs I have do not show a cockpit mod. I'll go back and take another look at the photos and books I have. The Russian Wings site doesn't have any open cockpits on the illustrations there. If I can find an illustration of this 'field modification' I'll take the center canopy section out.

The Hawk 75 is coming along. The rear only has a few wrinkles in the tail to iron out. The front left side is a bit more dented and is requiring a bit more effort to get the lines to match up. It is evil when a 2 pixel line on the tail a.pcx tries to match up with a 2 pixel line that renders as a 3 pixel and is off center on the nose/cowl tex.pcx. I know it has something to do with one or more points in the element and the lenght, span and height of the individual points within an element.

I still need to square off both sides of the tail. Will do.

Most of the French skins, a large number of the RAF and a some of the Luftwaffe arfe from Ray's Med set.