Little Wars and Obscure Planes

Discuss EAW and find answers to problems. Discuss any related WWII topics

Moderator: rotton50

Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Little Wars and Obscure Planes

Post by Moggy »

One of the things that is so interesting in fleshing out the Italy/Balkans/Ukraine map is the unknown little skirmishes and and the forgotton planes that flew in them.

When Adolf Hitler ripped up the Versailles Treaty and started redrawing the international boundaries in central Europe he opened a whole can of worms. Ethnic monorities in the new countries invented by Versailles wanted to return to a national setup where they were at home. Countries that lost territory wanted it back. The way to deal with it, as Hitler had unfortunately shown, was by armed force. Hungary was one of the WW1 losers (fully paid up part of Austria-Hungary, one of the "Central Powers") and lost huge slabs of territory to the newly invented Czechoslovakia, and the redrawn and much enlarged Romania. In 1939 and 1940 Hungary rattled sabres twice and was handsonmely rewarded.

First in March 1939 it went to war with little Slovakia, newly minted as a German puppet state after Hitler's destruction of Czechoslovakia. For its pains it received a slab of territory on the southern Slovakian border. Once the real war was under way, in August 1940 it had a skirmish with Romania. It wanted Transylvania back. It got it.

The Hungarian Air Force was involved in both those skirmishes and glad to be. After WW1 Hungary as a loser, like Germany, had been forbidden an air force. Secretly in the mid-20s it began to procure one. Amongst the types purchased was the Fokker C5, and with a license to build them in Hungary. Weiss Manfréd Muvek began to produce clones of the Fokker aircraft, exceeding the terms of the 1928 licence. Armament was fitted from 1931. The modified Fokker C5 morphed into the WM.16 Budapest 9 with a better engine and intended as a light bomber. That morphed into the Budapest 14, and in 1936 that morphed into the WM.21 Sólyom or "Falcon" which made its first flight in the first half of May 1937.

A first order for 36 machines was placed on 28 July 1938.

In August 1938 following the Treaty of Bled Hungary was at last officially able to re-arm. With the air force no longer being secret, this was officially founded as the Magyar Királyi Honvéd Légierö (MKHL) -the Hungarian Royal Home defence air force.

A second order for 21 WM.21 was placed on 12 April 1939, a third group of 23 aircraft was ordered on 13 April 1940, and a final fourth group of 48 aircraft was built between 9 January 1941 and 18 September 1941, giving a total number of 128 aircraft built.

This aircraft was involved in both the 1939 and 1940 small wars prosecuted by Hungary, for recce and as a light bomber. It was later used in the invasion of Yugoslavia, and then against Yugoslav partisans, and similarly in the Hungarian part of Babrbarossa against the Soviet Union. The last two operational squadrons were disbanded in 1944. Ther plane was then used as a trainer, first in Hungary, and then as the Axis retreated, in Germany. All remaining WM.21 airframes in Hungary were probably destroyed by retreating German and Hungarian troops in March and April 1945.

There is now almost nothing left of the WM.21. All that remains is a part of the horizontal tail plane and a wheel spat in Szolnok Aviation Museum.

My attempt at a WM.21 for EAW. I expect Ray will want to improve it :)
rotton50
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Re: Little Wars and Obscure Planes

Post by rotton50 »

Happy to help, I love producing the obscure ones. Put it in my folder and I'll get on it after I get done pulling my hair out over the R/S issues with the Japanese H6K. :roll:

Also, don't forget, I just recently added the WM.23 to the inventory. :yes:

And then there's the Belgian Renard series of fighters, a couple of late war Japanese high altitude interceptors and well, just an incredible number of obscure aircraft brought to you by YouTube.:rock:
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

Many thanks. I'll drop the file in shortly.

Some more screens:

I used your Letov 328 as a base as they seemed to be similar sort of planes. Reshaped nose and tailplane, reshaped wings, jiggled with the struts to get that distinctive WM.21 look. Used your transparency files to give the Hungarian national markings on the wings, and also experimented your multiskin system to get the registration codes (they are correct codes). There are some R/S issues :) and also some skinning issues.

Used a slightly edited Letov FM which seems to work.

Can only use one of the two loadouts it actually used - 12 x 10KG bombs. I can't give it the alternative 60 x 1KG bomblets as such a load out is not in the armaments inventory at the moment,
rotton50
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by rotton50 »

Actually, looks pretty good. As to the R/S issues, usually models with lots of struts NEVER give perfect renderings so unless it's something really egregious it probably doesn't matter. Still, I can take a look if you want.
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

I've sent you the WN.21. Grateful for any improvements.
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

Thanks for the clean up job Ray!

:beer:

rotton50
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by rotton50 »