Thanks Capt, I will try it.
Jel
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Re: Campaign problems

Post by Jel »

I have made a pack for just the ETO theatre:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17Cn3im ... sp=sharing

Running the downloaded file creates a "Career April 01 2024" folder.
The exe may need the "alt-G" gunsight fix mentioned by CaptJ, but otherwise things seem to be working normally.
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

Thanks Jel. I did need to apply alt-G, but otherwise seems to be working.

:beer:

I'm going to try it with the other career mods Spain, Finland and SPAW.
Jel
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by Jel »

I found a 160 career installation which allows the user to fly an ETO career or a SPAW career.
I ran into problems, but found the cause.
When Ray released his final cut version of SPAW with the possibility of on deck objects a new height system was needed.
I had to change the code which sets the height of the runway on the carrier deck.
The SPAW careers are for the original SPAW so an older exe is needed that uses the old runway height system.
If you use one of the newer exes with the original SPAW then the carrier planes are on the water beneath the carrier and not on the deck.

I will post the installation ;)
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

Thanks Jel. I think it's a good thing to have an installation that runs pilot careers properly.

Can we have the SPAW careers and the default/Spain/Finland/DAW careers in the same setup albeit with separate exes?
Jel
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by Jel »

This is an installation that has both the ETO and SPAW careers, with a universal exe:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19FpPAu ... sp=sharing
Jel
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by Jel »

Can we have the SPAW careers and the default/Spain/Finland/DAW careers in the same setup albeit with separate exes?
OK we have the SWAW and ETO ones now. However, I wonder if it is worth doing others.
I have the impression that the issues raised by others are coming from players with a GoG installation who are having problems with ETO careers. They may not want careers in other theatres.
Career planesets need to be made so that the files match, and if I recall correctly the DAW planeset was dreadful with planes in inappropriate slots.
I will check out the careers in the Spanish and Finnish installations.
Jel
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by Jel »

I just looked at my 1.28c pack.
The original careers are there for Spain, DAW and Malta.
There is little to be gained from making a UAW160 version.

I have a 1.28E FAW installation with careers working ;)
It is far too complex to convert to UAW160.

;) Jel
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

Thanks Jel.

I have been looking at the various Finland setups today, and came to much the same conclusion. The 128E setup is definitive for the Finland careers, and I agree the complex setup with multiple front lines controlled by a separate manager is unsuited for 1.6.

Of course the Finland map is suitable for single missions and online in 1.6.
rotton50
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by rotton50 »

If you look at the list of planes in the vast majority of my planesets you'll notice I stuck to the aircraft types from the original EAW slots. That is, pure fighters in fighter slots, attack planes in multi-use slots and level bombers in level bomber slots.

Some of the early war plansets were difficult to get right as the number of aircraft available was limited but mid to late war and post-war planesets follow the EAW slots just about 100% of the time. So, when testing for some of these other problems I'd recommend using later planesets just to help avoid some random CTD's due to slot incompatibility.

FWIW, since the last offering I've added a number of early planes so there should be less CTD's due to slot issues no matter what planeset is selected. It won't be ready for some months yet as I still have about 20% of the models to upgrade to my new quality standards and maybe even a few more planes still to be produced for the mix.
Jel
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by Jel »

Looking at the theatres that have campaigns it is clear that they are old. When they are used in UAW160 the additional features of UAW160 (such as up to 1000 TMods) are not used. There is nothing to be gained by running them in career mode in UAW160.
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

Default campaigns and Spain will run in the new campaign setup. Haven't tried it with SPAW yet.

I have it in mind to put a post re the new campaign setup in the "Instruction Manual" section.

Do we, by the way, have a more recent planeset for the default careers?
rotton50
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by rotton50 »

Moggy wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:37 pm Do we, by the way, have a more recent planeset for the default careers?
Not to my knowledge. All the planesets I've produced are in tight chronological order, from 1938 through 1953. This means that the planes in any particular set are "chronologically grouped" much closer together than the default set. The default set of planes covers the entire 5 years of aerial war from 300MPH Hurricanes to 500MPH jets while my planesets cover just 6 months with aircraft that are correct for that period.

However, the PSM program makes it easy to produce such a planeset. Just get a list of the default planes, select them from the available planes in the Aircraft_Inventory ETO folder and you're good to go.

Another thing.

SPAW was much more than a bunch of new planes in a new theater. There was a copious amount of work done on the functionality of the campaigns. I don't know if anyone noticed, but there are only two campaigns in SPAW, not three. That was done on purpose to better fit the time period of the South Pacific War.

So, if anyone want to test campaign functionality in something other than the default EAW world, the best best would be SPAW. I say that because there were literally no complaints about CTD's in campaign mode back in the heyday of EAW, well before the flurry of new execs.
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

Thanks Ray, I will have a go at putting together a new planeset for the default careers.

Now, SPAW. How best to put together a setup that will run SPAW careers - I note Jel's post above about the carrier deck height problem. Which exe is best to use? And sorry to ask the question again but as there are two careers in plainly different time periods, would you use two different plane sets, and if so, which two?
rotton50
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by rotton50 »

The 1st campaign in SPAW mimics the BOB campaign in EAW, with more variety for the defenders so the player doesn't experience an endless run of fighter intercepts.

The SPAW Late 1941 or Early 1942 planesets would be your best bet for historically accurate aircraft but any planeset labeled 1941 (Not necessarily SPAW, either) or later will work because they all adhere to the 30 slot EAW aircraft assignments. Earlier sets are somewhat deficient in level bombers and attack planes but for the most part they'd be OK for game play, just not to test with.

The 2nd campaign is a hybrid of the two later campaigns of EAW, spanning the 1943 to 1945 era. For this campaign, since it spans almost two full years of conflict, you'd need to use the PSM program to switch planesets that reflect the constant upgrading of machines over the period.

As for which exec to use,I'm lost due to the constant issuing of execs with all sorts of additions like old map/new-map, mutiplayer, RADAR, Jel's targets, Ray's targets and on and on.

I think you and I are going to have to decide on one that doesn't CTD for the average player and set it in stone.