Cockpit Views

To upgrade the 2001 Midway addon
Wudpecker

Cockpit Views

Post by Wudpecker »

One of the few things that bother me about EAW is the cockpit views.
You can't see much.
I know that most real aircraft have much better views (especially if you sit up straight). Fliers both on-screen and off need peripheral vision.

Looking at the views in BOB in the thread just posted by Col.Gibbon "What do we think of this sim?" I see much improved visibility. IL-2 also gives you the option of "sitting further back" for a slightly wider perspective.

Some "modded" EAW cockpits make the view even worse than the default, which probably used limited views to give better frame rate updates.

I fully realize there are great difficulties in changing anything in EAW (how well I know!).

But if there's a way---this would be a stunning add-on for your new "mods".

So I bring it up here, before raising the issue at a general forum.

--W
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

The EAW cockpits are just 3dz models like the aircraft, and equally capable of being edited. Sadly very few EAW 3dz modellers have had a go at cockpits. Claudio Wilches is probably the most prolific. I've also had a go making the Invader, and then the Mosquito cockpit and then going on to do the Lancaster, which has been with Claudio for some finishing touches for a very long time now.

The cockpits can probably be got exactly as we want them, if modellers have the time available.

The B17 cockpit we are currently using was the very first EAW big bomber cockpit to be created, by Pretzel, now also some time ago. It could really do with a careful and methodical upgrade ... but time .... :(
Wudpecker

Cockpit views

Post by Wudpecker »

Aye, mate. So many cockpits, so little time.
What I need is the talent.

Did you notice my offer to send you actual layouts of a B-17 cockpit? Both a "photo" and i.d.'s on the instruments. Haven't the foggiest (nor you the Moggiest, I'm sure) what to do with them. I'll tell you it makes a modern airliner a brother.

Hope you don't mind the "pointless" discussions--pointless unless we can do something. Notice the royal "we" where the doing is left to someone else :wink:

I do try.
---Woody
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

Thanks for the B17 cockpit info. When there's time perhaps ....

Ah - there is stuff to do. I need some reporting back on that B17 package that is now available in the Midway aircraft folder.

Will try to put up other finished "air groups" for some prelim testing as well.

Anyone having problems with using FTP, a cranky technology but still useful, please say.