REBEL FLIGHT

To upgrade the 2001 Midway addon
Wudpecker

REBEL FLIGHT

Post by Wudpecker »

Too good not to have its own topic.
The last flight of B-17s in the "Sighted Main Body" (Midway.exe) start having trouble right after take-off. The last plane turns back, leading to defection of four other aircraft in the flight or flights.
And they were looking so good up to that point....Nice wingview props and open floor window for the "bombardier" (my uncle was one).

In trouble, unable to gain speed, the last plane jettisons its bomb load over the waters of Midway. Others in the flight do the same.

All aircraft in Rebel Flight go into turmoil, circling Midway.
Most of Rebel Flight lands back on base, leaving the other flights to fly onward to face the Zeros.

Who says the unexpected doesn't happen in EAW? (Actually it happens every time so far).
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

This is a known issue with flyable bombers in multiple section squads in EAW. You could check out bomber threads on the SimHG board. Flyright did many experiments to try and deal with this. It seems ultimately due due to lack of proper flyable bomber routines in the EAW code, the only way to deal with this is make the bombers dive bombers in the FM. That's the way I had to deal with it the daylight mode in Dunkirk. In the night mode the bombers were changed into a long thin "bomber stream" type type formation.

Another way of dealing with it might be to change the formation bytes in the exe to make the whole squadron in effect consist of one section

In Midway we are rescued by history, in that the squad which mounted the bombing missions against the Japanese was a single section of four aircaft, and in a single section you don't don't get rebels - well except for the ones who want to peel off and dogfight :lol:
Wudpecker

Thanks, Moggy

Post by Wudpecker »

I suspected it was because the aircraft were "ordered" to bomb ground targets shortly after take-off. But I gather that's a user-triggered option.

Anyway, it was just too good not to post screenshots.
--W