Carrier Group Operations

To upgrade the 2001 Midway addon
Wudpecker

Carrier Group Operations

Post by Wudpecker »

I apologize for cluttering up the board, but someone may have some answers. Pobs is trying to help me. But it's a puzzler.

In trying to create a realistic convoy formation for the carrier groups in "RETURN TO MIDWAY--Sighted Main Body II" (how's that for a new title?), I'm stuck trying to use Mr. Jelly's TarEdit program to move the ships.

It won't show the actual layout of the Tmods for the ships and carriers (really an airfield). It gives a "Too Many Tmods" error notice.

I'm sure this has to do with dumping the Tarnames.str and Tartypes.str files into text files. DUMPSTR didn't work well. Mr. Jelly's own STREDIT.exe produced a long list of ASCII characters.
Such as:
Ä
Ð
Ñ
Ò
Ó
Ô
Õ
Ö
Ø and so on, as well as the actual battle groups targets:
IJN Kaga
IJN Midway Support Force
IJN Hiryu
IJN Midway Occ Force
Midway Eastern Island
IJN Soryu
IJN Akagi
IJN 2nd Flt (Zuiho)
IJN 1st Flt (Hosho)
USS Yorktown
USS Hornet
USS Enterprise
Midway Sand Island
d Island
r Group
USS Enterprise Carrier Group

---and this list of superfluous names:
Bourget
Le Havre
Le Mans
Leuven
Liege
Oschersleben
Leipzig
Lille
Ulm
Lispe
Heilbronn
Lorient
Londinieres
Ludwigshaven
Luxembourg
Magdeburg
Mainz
Mannheim
Marienburg
Martinvast
Mechelen
Metz
Mimoyecques
Morlaix, etc. and so on....

The "old" Midway runs fine that these .str files were taken from.
I know we have to re-locate Shreck's new shoals and islands in the EAW.tm world map. But those should not add to the target list problem.

And we need to add some BNCoastX.ter tiles so each carrier group can have its own---so that I can add ships' wakes to the PCX's as I did for an Easter Egg on the Hornet carrier group.

But first the ships must be re-arranged so they don't get in the way of aircraft and provide some realistic arrangements. It wouldn't hurt to add some ship types, if we have room.
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

Hello Wudy,

In setting up for Iraq, I didn't have problems using dumpstr, and then taking off the top twp lines, then using the resulting text file in Jel's editor.

As for the "too many tmods" error message - I don't know when the editor sends this, but at some locations in Midway there are over 100 tmods.