OUT DAMNED SPOT

To upgrade the 2001 Midway addon
Wudpecker

OUT DAMNED SPOT

Post by Wudpecker »

Water "terrain" problem.

I have repeatedly tried new refinements on water/land at Midway.
Trying to clean up some minor glitches (just as tough as first time-tile joins are hell).

Each time I use PICPAC to transfer BNWATER.PCX to BNWATER.TER, the .ter file has a black spot. Nothing I can do gets rid of it. Tried dumping the .ter file back to .pcx and eliminating any black I find.
Tried and tried.

If I email you the BNWATER.PCX or LRWATER.TER tile-about 60k ea.-- could you check it on Paint Shop or PhotoShop (whatever you have)?

Picture below of black spot in front of B-17's right engines:

Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

This sounds to me like the famous EAW black spot problem of years past. It used to arise if I remember right from different video cards treatment of the various EAW pallette. The problem was always with a colour in pallette slot 0, the cure was to change any part of the image that had any colours in that slot to another slot using something like PSP's "edit pallette" facility.
Wudpecker

SPOT REMOVER

Post by Wudpecker »

Thanks, Moggy.
I'm not using Paint Shop Pro (except for a VERY old version severely limited). I'm using Dogwaffle, which has its own way of handling palettes and colors---which is both good and bad.

The good news is THE SPOT IS GONE.

It appears to have been a corrupt PICPAC file. Crossing my fingers.

I AM SLOWLY ELIMINATING MINOR GLITCHES IN THE LAND/SEA COLORS TILES FOR MIDWAY.

The new sea tiles are 'Spotless"

The join matches are much improved. Sadly, some green patches also moved as I diddled around, appearing in front of the hangers. If it's not one thing, it's another.

Is there a way to "roughen" the runway edges so they have a sand-blown look? Not sure how to get at them.

When I'm satisfied (or more accurately, exhausted), will send the new sets to you---or to the FTP lockbox. Haven't tried it since I went to XP.

PLEASE REMEMBER THE NEW EMAIL FOR REPLIES:

WallaceWood13@aol.com
Wudpecker

Missing Pics

Post by Wudpecker »

Oh, BTW, are you removing the pics?

Notice they don't come up anymore.

Figure it's a problem of hard disk space.
Wudpecker

Here, Spot, Here Spot

Post by Wudpecker »

The Spot is back.

Must have had a stroke of luck with some water tiles that escaped this disease.

Searching endlessly for the culprit causing the spot--stamping out anything that even looks dark--now I think it's a palette problem. But I sure don't know. :?:
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

Hello Woody - my best guess is something to do with pallettes. What colour number is the black spot?

BTW not removing the pictures. Should display as ever.