Video intro

To upgrade the 2001 Midway addon
Anthony

Video intro

Post by Anthony »

Moggy,

What format do you need video to be in, in order to convert it to Smacker format for the game?

I'm thinking clips of the actual Battle of Midway from John Ford's "Battle of Midway" would be perfect for what you want. What could be better? I just have to work out how to rip some scenes from DVD and convert to the appropriate format.

File size and capacity of your ftp site may be an issue, mightn't they?
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

Something from John Ford's film would be terrifc, thanks indeed Anthony.

With the various "smacker" tools I can covert from AVI and I think WMV, just a matter of getting the right utility.

I have this node thingy, with a fair bit space with it and more on offer, so unless the file size is going to be absoloutely enormous, it may not be an issue yet. Let me know about file size before you upload and we can see if it's a problem then.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

AVI will probably be the easiest option at this end so I will see what I can do and let you know the file sizes. I hope you aren't in hurry. :roll: School starts back up tomorrow. :oops:
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

In your own time Anthony - and many thanks.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Don't have a stroke or anything Moggy, but would your ftp site handle a 1 Gig file??? :?
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

............. and do you have a broadband connection yourself? :shock: :wink: :idea:

Love these smileys.
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

(1) eeeeek

(2) No, unfortunately not. Is there any way you can reduce it to selected clips of short duration?

(3) I don't have boadband at the moment, but I'm hoping that will change in the very near future, but I have survive trials like updating the operating system...
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

1) Image

2) Of course! Just wanted to give you a present if possible.

3) Broadband is wonderful. Does that mean you upgraded to 98SE?
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

I would have loved such a present :cry: Perhaps it might be possible in the future :rocking:

I'm carrying preliminary operations for broadband. Had to increase space on my C: partition, so got hold of partition Magic to do that. I got a brand new copy of W98SE for a knockdown, so that will go on next, then its broadband, then its video card upgrade.

Severe attack of wanting to throw computer through closed window when rebooted after repartitioning. Severe memory leak which meant user resorces dropping to nil after about three minutes. It was that b.... f..... Norton Anti-Virus 2004 again. So I had to reboot and try and uninstall the programme in the little time allowed by the memory leak. Just about managed it. Have put AV2000 back on for the moment, but it looks like I'm going to have to reinstall all my Norton stuff to cure the basic problem "can't run integrator" :evil: :evil: :evil:

If you can dig out some nice clips, it would be great!
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Sounds like you might need a clean reformat to install win98se and norton.

What resolution were the videos you have used for your other EAW projects? I am having severe file size issues so the lower I can make the resolution the better.
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

Check and get back to you soonest.
Wudpecker

Win 98 install

Post by Wudpecker »

FYI, I just completed a "hot" re-install of Win 98 se and it has improved machine response enormously (so far).
By "hot", I mean I did the re-install with all current programs in place--about 20 gigs worth, most of it EAW.

Also put in the anti-adware (see thread on SimHQ) called Ad-Aware and it ripped out about 25 "lurker" programs, and may have added to better response as well.
This on top of that, I had added McCafee's anti-virus, which removed several that may have damaged the former Win 98 (which wouldn't shut down).

I'm having quite a "spot of bother" with sound in Midway, which seems to double up or triple up the sound. Can only be heard decently by hitting Alt-Q to "quit" and not quitting.
Probably the fault of this old Radeon graphics card, but don't know why since it's from the same era as EAW.

Sorry to say I don't like Norton utilities very much. Have enormous respect for Peter Norton, whose books were wonderful, but Symantec's programs have only fouled my hard drives in the past.
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

Having great problems with Norton AV over the last few weeks. Just for fun had a power cut yesterday which seems to have spiked my keyboard. Got W98SE sitting looking at me now, till I get the nerve to install it (in the "hot" manner). Will check out the Ad software.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Adaware is bloody great!

Have you tried turning down or off your hardware acceleration for sound in Windows Wudpecker?
Wudpecker

Good idea

Post by Wudpecker »

Good idea, Anthony. It seems to be loading the sound over and over.

I've switched back to my 32mb card, and all problems disappear (except I miss the ground fog).

When I go back to the old card, for another shot at 3DZ! Studio, I'll try your fix.
--W