Functioning kamakaze?

A Project to model the 1944 Carrier air battles of the Pacific
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Functioning kamakaze?

Post by Moggy »

In the first CAW slot list the kamakaze was assigned to the V1 slot. However, Flyright has done much research into a functioning kamakaze and determined that it can only work in another aircraft slot because EAW always returns to the deafult V1 FM in that slot. He has produced an FM which causes the plane to behave like this:

"the AI will attack the convoy's area but can't ID exact targets so it'll be a random hail storm when they start dropping our of the sky. Some may even nose up at the last moment and skim along the water line until they broadside something in their way or not."

As the British slots (other then the PBY in the mosq slot) are going spare, it seems to me that we could put one or more types of kamakaze in the British slots.

Although the Okha was not used until 1945, kamakaze attacks using other aircraft, principally zeros, began in October 1944 as part of the desparate Japanese defence of thePhillippines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamikaze

I suggest therefore that we have two kamakaze slots, one for a zero, the other for Kurt's already done Kate.

Any comments?
Last edited by Moggy on Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlyRight
Fitter Grade II
Fitter Grade II

Post by FlyRight »

...the above description is based on watching them when modding the fm without being intercepted in which most cases they weren't identified until practically upon the fleet anyway.

So idealy their appearance if applied would best be activated for specal edited missions pretty much the same way you now suddenly have to scramble to defend the immediate area when hearing the airbase alarm go off. Otherwise most can be intercepted or at least once distracted from their target area pretty much the same way bombers are displaced with the usual time consuming regrouping now, may never reach their intended destination.

So its not perfect behavior but as close as I can ever get it. And speeking of that early warning base alarm sound file, maybe this is a good time to mention the naval version of the general alarm??? that goes bong :shock: , bong :shock: , bong :shock: ...I was on the Newport News stationed off the coast of vietnam and this thing was more scary to hear than engaging any gunboats...anyway, something somebody might already have from one of their combat naval sims :idea:
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

I'm working on another kamikaze idea which is to have the kamikaze aircraft in effect loaded as ordnance rockets on another aircraft. This is done by using the f.3dz as an ordnance shape and moving the hardpoints right out so that the mother aircraft and the one or two kamikazes appear simply as three aircraft flying in formation. On being given the attack order the mother aircraft will dive at the target with the two kamis fire them off at the target and swoop away.

From the defenders point of view you get a three aircraft attack, one being a decoy or covering fighter and two diving on the target.

Pictures soon.
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

rotton50
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

kamikaze

Post by rotton50 »

Moggy,

I have a functioning Betty / OKHA comb. It is an off shoot of the "Silent Wings" project.

I called it "The Shortest Career".
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

Thanks! Can I get a copy of it?
Pobs
Chairman of the Code Committee
Chairman of the Code Committee

Post by Pobs »

has anybody tried setting the train size to 1 ?? if that works we can use the engine as a carrier and preplot a zig zag path as a railway using the latest railway editor... then we can have a moving carrier target ...

cheers,

Pobs