Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

New CAW tile layout from Neira

Post by Moggy »

Neira has just sent me a new CAW tile layout containing:

- the last eaw.tm file, with Palau archipielago corrected and the new Truk
archipielago

- the last and NEEDED ter files for this world.

Please, delete ALL the previous ter. files from your CAW folder and put this new set into it. They are already renamed to bn*****.ter.

The zip file 750kb is available from the CAW FTP folder. See the sticky post on the CAW central file repository on how to access.

These are beta files for testing purposes only and not for distribution.

Please let us know if you discover any glitches or other oddities.
Wudpecker

Terrain Maps

Post by Wudpecker »

I simply cannot figure out how to see the CAW world map.

How did you make maps for your other campaigns, such as Dunkirk?

Without a map layout of the tiles, I'm lost on making color mods to land and sea for Carrier Air War.

I've got Neira's Truk and Palau files. No matter what I do, they do not fit together to make a rational picture.

I've researched EAW old files and read your own tutorial on modding the EAW world---but no info on how to get a map.
--Wudpecker
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

Hello Woody,

I'm not sure what you mean by "seeing the map". If you mean seeing the bitmap version of the tile layout like Prune's original "real shape of the EAW world", you create a 640x320 256 colour bitmap in something like paintshop pro, load it into a hex editor so that you can see where the header on the bitmap file ends and the bitmap proper begins. Strip off the header and keep it on the pasteboard. Load the eaw.tm file for CAW into the hex editor, add the stripped off header from the bitmap to the begining of the eaw.tm file, save the result as a new bitmep. Load the new bitmap into your graphics programme and you should see the real CAW tile layout.
Moggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Moggy »

I have now converted the rest of Neira's "New Guinea" tileset for use in CAW and am completing the tile layout.

Von Oben/Neira original did the basic coast layout and infill. I am now placing cities, rivers, and cultivated areas with a view then to doing a basic target/airfield location layout.